Saturday, July 18, 2009

And finally, a little "us" time

While Lucas was participating in a mission trip with the youth from our church, we decided to take a few days for ourselves and follow him to Gatlinburg, Tennessee. Although we were technically in the same area (though Lucas could never tell us where he was), we didn't ever see him (didn't even really talk to him), and were only able to communicate with him via text messaging on our cell phones. When we finally accepted the fact that he didn't "need" us, we relaxed and completely enjoyed ourselves.

We really didn't DO anything, and that's hard for us. Gordon sat on the deck overlooking one of the majestic scenes in the Great Smokey Mountains and caught up on some reading while I spread out several layers of beautiful batik fabrics and cut, cut, cut. It rained a lot, but the wet weather didn't damped our spirits at all. Relaxing in a log cabin atop a mountain in the Smokeys and listening to the rain hit the metal roof is my idea of "heaven on earth." We did make one short trip to a fabric store where I was able to find pink and brown fabrics for the new granddaughter's "Welcome Home Quilt", and we attended a craft show at the convention center in Gatlinburg. Aside from that we did no shopping or sightseeing and just enjoyed our own company.

When I checked my email after returning home, there was a photo from David showing the curtains I made hanging in Lindley Marie's bedroom. I am so pleased! I can't wait for her arrival!

No comments: